A forever fave in The Shaw Household and with various ways to make it, I don’t think you can really go wrong! Legit, there are so many recipes although I must admit I didn’t follow a recipe for this per se as it was a case of just experimenting with what I think works. I usually use vegan mince but had non in the freezer and when I had popped to @aldiuk I saw 30% reduced turkey mince. You can use packet seasonings, you can use pre-made sauces, you can batch make a seasoning, make your own sauce etc.
Below is what I did with this ‘batch’ which the kids loved!
• I used mixed beans instead of plain kidney beans.
• One large sliced and diced onion.
•400g tinned tomatoes.
•500g lean minced beef (10% or less fat) but for this I used Turkey mince.
• Splodge of garlic paste
•1 tsp hot chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
•2 tsp ground cumin
• 1tsp Paprika
•2 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tbsp plain flour
•3 tbsp tomato purée
•1 tsp caster sugar
•1 tsp dried oregano
•1 bay leaf
•Freshly ground black pepper
1.Place a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the meat and onions. Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring the meat and squishing it against the sides of the pan to break up the lumps.
2. Add the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder (depending on how hot you like your chilli) and the cumin and coriander. Fry together for 1–2 minutes more. Sprinkle over the ﬂour and stir well.
3. Slowly add the 100ml stock, stirring constantly. Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and stir in the tomato purée, caster sugar, oregano and bay leaf.
4. Season with a pinch of salt (if your chose) and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Bring to a simmer on the hob, then cover loosely with a lid. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mince is tender and the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve! 😋
𝗠𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝗯𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗖𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶 𝗖𝗼𝗻 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴:
2 tblspn cumin
2 tspn paprika
2 tspn oregano
1 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn onion powder
0.5-1 tspn cinnamon
2 tblspn chili powder