1. It helps people from all over the world of various religions, creed, colour, nationalities and interests to form communities in order to discuss and spread the word! It’s a fantastic tool to see how others live.
2. Given the huge amounts of content produced every single minute on the Internet you can’t afford to leave it to organic search to unearth your content so it’s no good producing loads of great blog posts, eBooks, web content and the like if you don’t tell anyone about it.
Social media is an awesome way of getting the word out – publicising your great content to a mass audience. Sharing your stories.
3. Awareness! Lives are not only saved only by 24 hour suicide prevention hotlines but spreading awareness and motivating people is important too. Assuring people that they are not alone and others can relate.
People with mental health issues, LGBT, domestic issues at home, single parents can all help each other in feeling not alone.
4. It’s an effortless way to connect with the like minded people. Regardless of location and religion, social networks are helpful in reviving and preserving relationships with other people.
Social media helps you build relationships as it’s a form of communication – about as close as you can get to holding a conversation with someone without being in the same room.
5. Catch up with friends and family who have moved away and can be kept abreast of the latest happenings in your world as quickly as those living next door.
Friends you haven’t seen since school and who have since moved away, are able to keep in touch. Social networking sites mean someone’s physical location has become a lot less important.
6. Emotions expressed online affect your mood as it not only helps to relieve social isolation but also open new communication pathways and offers much needed support as it allows people to share their thoughts without revealing their identity. It helps develops within people an enhanced talent of self expression without any fear or judgement.
7. Helps promote businesses and promote work, so if you are running a social media campaign, then the software is free and there are no subscription costs!
8. There is a lot of evidence to show that being active on social media helps you to be ranked in search engines such as Google.
The key though is is to do it through the creation of valuable, useful and quality content which I’m still learning.
9. It’s a great market research tool – there are many simple, free or low cost monitoring tools for social media that will allow you to learn basic information about the market you are in. You can gain intelligence on competitors, prospects and clients and get insights on your organisation, products and services.
10. News! Literally news all over the world from your hometown to the other side from good news to the bad. People spread weather reports, accidents, traffic and so much more.