For over 35 years MAM have been developing products along with experts from medicine and research that are unique in function and design, support the individual development of every child and make everyday baby life easier.
All MAM products are BPA free
That means studies have shown that BPA might result in longstanding health problems, and as such many parents are concerned about the safety of their baby’s bottles. While BPA (Bisphenol A) is used in the production of most plastic polycarbonate products it is not used for MAM products. All products are made from plastic polypropylene
Plastic used to make these baby products have undergone rigorous testing to ensure that the material is harmless and safe!
They are free of plasticizers and only uses materials which fulfil the highest demands of safety standards.
The products I’m reviewing:
SIX IN ONE STERILISER
All the components –
• Includes: 2 X Easy Start Bottles, 2 x Start Soother and 1 x Teat tongs to assemble clean bottles.
• Compact design that saves on kitchen space
• Electric and microwave steam sterilising possible
• Gentle or fast warming: perfect for breastmilk and formula
• Extremely fast warming of milk in just 2 minutes 30 seconds
• Extremely fast defrosting of milk in just 10 minutes
• Safety auto turn feature
• Suitable from birth
• 85%* of parents would recommend the MAM Electric Steriliser & Express Bottle Warmer to others
• 1 year guarantee.
- All in one sterilising, saves on kitchen space
- Electric and microwave steam sterilising possible. Keeps item disinfected for up to 48 hours*
- Gentle and fast warming: perfect for breastmilk and formula
- 85%** would recommend the MAM Electric Steriliser & express Bottle Warmer to other parents.
- Microwave Steriliser suitable for microwaves from 650 to 1850 watt
- Free Inside: 2x Easy StartTM Anti-Colic 160ml bottles, 2x MAM Start, 1x Teat Tongs
*Suitable for disinfecting up to 6 MAM Bottles and up to 5 soothers. For further details have a look at the chart in the instructions for use. Duration of 5 minutes is based on method in the microwave oven with wattage 1850 W.
**Market research study with 96 participants, conducted in UK 2016.
° All MAM products are made from materials free of BPA and BPS. The bottles are in compliance with Reg.(EU) No. 321/2011.
Pros – this sterilizer is sturdy, easy to use, innovative and great price. Personally I love it as you have literally all you need in one! Wish I had it with all three!
Cons – may not fit in some peoples microwave. Also if you forget to add water you burn ‘the bit where the water goes‘ but it beeps at you to show you water needs to be added!
Verdict – buy one they are so so so handy! Has everything you need in one – I’ve had this a month now and always using it feeling like the items are clean and sterile.
HOW TO CLEAN THE BOTTLES
Baby bottles from MAM can be easily unscrewed and taken apart for cleaning. Being able to dismantle the different parts makes it easier to clean it thoroughly and rinse it well. You can wash it with clean drinking water and a mild cleaning agent.
Additionally, you should use a steriliser for cleaning each part individually. Sterilising your baby feeding equipment is necessary especially for new born babies.
By the time a baby is six months old their defences are much more developed than at birth. I sterilise up until the age of one as it’s what I feel comfortable doing despite the weaning stage.
TIPS FOR PREPARING AND HEATING FOODS
Before placing the bottle inside a warm water bath or bottle warmer, the sealing cap should be removed. The contents of the bottle should not boil, so avoid pouring boiling hot liquids into it. Before feeding your baby, remove the bottle from the bottle warmer and dry it off on the outside with a clean cloth.
Are the bottles safe to use warm in the microwave?
Yes! MAM bottles are safe to use in the microwave. First remove the cap, ring nut, and teat then warm up the bottle by itself in the microwave. After heating stir the milk or formula a bit to allow the heat to be evenly distributed. Check the temperature before giving it to your baby to ensure it is not too warm.
In addition to the Anti-Colic feature that the ventilation holes in the base provide, these bottles are also self sterilising, without the need for a bulky steriliser.
All you need is water and a microwave! Viola!
MAM’s ‘nipples’ come in 4 different sizes – from slow flow to extra fast flow – to accommodate your baby’s drinking needs at any age. All MAM nipples offer the following features:
- Convenient Design: MAM nipples fit all MAM bottles and sippy cups.
- Functional Design: Designed to never collapse during drinking.
Feels Like Mom: MAM nipples are orthodontic nipples that are made from skin-soft silicone. They are expertly textured and shaped to mimic mother’s breast, making transition from mom to MAM smooth and easy.
EASY ACTIVE BABY BOTTLE
The MAM Easy Active Baby Bottle is the ideal bottle for active babies, so easy to use:
- MAM Teat with SkinSoftTM silicone surface for familiar feeling – accepted by 94% of babies*
- Active design – comfortable to hold for babies and parents
- Wide opening for extra smooth filling and cleaning
° All MAM bottles are made from materials free of BPA and BPS (BPA Free in accordance with Regulation (EU) No.321/2011.)
When your baby is six months they are ready and eager for change and learning how to do things on their own. It is during this time you have the opportunity to teach him, among other things, the art of drinking from a cup.
MAM provides you with Trainer Bottles for boys and girls that provide them with ideal support to learn how to drink from a cup independently and in style!
Trainer+ 220ml – Baby Bottle & Cup
It’s the starting point in the MAM range to move your baby on from breast or bottle and best for babies struggling with the transition from breast and bottle to cups.
From personal experience all infants want to develop and grow – these cups provide easy ways for them to do so with soft teats, handles and the pretty pictures.
The MAM Trainer+ is the ideal bottle for independent drinking – spill free and easy to hold.
- Spill-free MAM Teat & Extra Soft Spout with SkinSoft silicone surface – for easy transition from breast or bottle to cup
- Handles especially designed for baby´s small hands
- Wide opening for easy filling and cleaning
°BPA/BPS free: All MAM bottles are made from materials free of BPS and BPA (BPA Free in accordance with Regulation (EU) No.321/2011)
° All MAM bottles are made from materials free of BPA and BPS (BPA Free in accordance with Regulation (EU) No.321/2011.)
Some more info!
MAM bottles have an innovative protective cap that helps the liquid stay in the bottle. This makes it easier as you don’t need to carry along sealing discs. You can simply place the protective cap on the bottle and you’re ready to go.
All the parts that make up a MAM bottle are shatterproof.
The MAM Trainer Cup can hold 220ml of liquid. It has a soft, spill-free spout designed for the dynamics of everyday baby life and the handles are designed with your baby’s little hands in mind. As I find with most beakers, the ‘spill-free’ spout usually means that while there’s less spillage, there is still some!
It has a cute, friendly design with the liquid level indicator.
How soon does the bottle teat need to be replaced?
It’s always a good idea for the sake of better hygiene to change the teat at regular intervals. Checking the teat each time before you give your baby his bottle will help you to know if it needs to be replaced through tell-tale signs of wear and tear – especially if your baby already has teeth! My son had 9 teeth at 11 months old, my baby at nearly 8 months hasn’t even got one!
Learn To Brush Set
Perfect for a child’s first experience with a tooth brush and babies learn to brush their teeth properly and independently in two stages. It teaches children the importance of oral cleaning. My first two children never had cool sets like these so I love the fact there’s cool new ways to introduce things early on which gets them used to even things like hand co-ordination!
How to use?
Ergonomic and anatomic handle that fits into the hands of the baby. The longer handle brush is to be used with adult supervision. Once the child has mastered the skills required the transition to the smaller brush can be made!
The head has essence filaments massaging the gums without damaging it and suitable for children over six months – my baby has no teeth yet but she loves the feel of it!
With the Learn to Brush Set consisting of the MAM Training Brush and MAM Baby’s Brush babies learn how to brush their teeth properly, right from the beginning.
- Step 1: MAM Training Brush: Extra-long handle enables parents & babies to hold the brush together. Babies can be guided through the correct brushing motions.
- Step 2: MAM Baby’s Brush: Babies can practice brushing independently.
- Developed with medical experts
- Very small head and extra soft bristles are perfect for tiny teeth
For advice on looking after your infants teeth click here.
DEVELOPMENTAL TOY – BOB!
MAM have so many varieties of products including developmental toys! From phase 1 teethers to the developmental stage.
There’s Lucy the Snail, Max the Frog and Bob the Turtle.
These has been brought out to cover a wide range of ages, Lucy is suitable from just 2 months, Max 4 months and Bob 5 months.
I love the fact its called Bob.
Handmade and safe for baby: the MAM Friends are an ideal first toy to help your child’s development. Made of 100% natural rubber, their material is pleasantly soft to the touch. Their bright colours and different shapes help to develop baby’s senses.
Meet Bob – best friend of Lucy and Max, and your childs new colourful and comforting companion! Bob’s variety of textures and fun shape support your babies sensory development.
- All MAM Friends teethers do not have any sound incorporated
- Do not sterilise – full instructions for cleaning are included in packaging.
- They are all BPA free
- made from natural rubber making them 100% baby safe.
- They are all handmade making each one individual and unique in colour and size. Bob is a purple turtle and the new companion of my 7 month old baby.
- Developed with medical experts – teamwork with medical experts for maximum safety. Only after approval by medical experts is a MAM innovation ready for baby life.
- Shape – easy to grip and hold
- Body- bright colours sharpen the visual senses
Dummies – which are also known as pacifiers or soothers – are a device that babies can suck on to help calm them down and soothe them when crying, restless or struggling to sleep.
My own baby haven’t really used dummies on a long term basis (my son didn’t use one at all) however during when my daughters were first born I gave them a dummies to suck during their colic phase and it helped! My eldest had severe colic post birth whether due to heavy antibiotics because of Strep B or just being a new human to the world!
There is a lot of judgment around the use of dummies and many parents feel they have to get rid of their baby’s dummies as soon as possible but whether or not your baby uses a dummy is not an indicator of a good or successful mother! So why do we feel judged by it!? Whilst your child’s dental health may be affected if dummy use or thumb sucking continues after the age of six – you need to weigh up the risks and benefits.
About MAM dummies
- These dummies do not contain softening agents. MAM only uses the best materials that will be the expectations of safety standards of the FDA and EN 1400. All MAM soothers are completely baby safe.
- MAM dummies have symmetrical teats and there is no top or bottom, so they can be put in your baby’s mouth in any direction without causing harm to their oral cavity development.
- Do not contain BPA, PVC, Phthalate, or Lead.
- They are orthodontically safe for your baby because of the ventilation system that exists in the teat. When your baby closes his jaw down on the teat, the air inside the nipple is pushed out through the ventilation system, causing the nipple to flatten and adapt to the baby’s individual oral cavity.
Advantages of a dummy
The main clear advantage is that a dummy is most probably the quickest technique to soothe your baby and quiet any crying that you’ve already tried to solve with other methods such as changing their nappy or giving them a feed.
There has also been some research that suggests that dummies help reduce the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
The products are fantastic quality! Definitely recommend.
HOPE THIS BLOG GAVE SOME INSIGHT!